Marla Williams begins term as CAF board chair
We’re extremely grateful to our board directors for their service to CAF. Special thanks go to Community First Foundation CEO Marla Williams, who officially became our new board chair this month.
A press release follows:
Marla Williams takes helm of Colorado foundation group board
DENVER, CO – Marla J. Williams has been elected board chair of the Colorado Association of Funders (CAF), a statewide group representing a broad range of foundations, corporate giving programs and other groups that support nonprofit causes.
Williams is president and CEO of Community First Foundation, a foundation helping donors and nonprofits come together to improve quality of life in the Denver metro area. Community First funds community programs, supports the services of nonprofit organizations, and assists individuals with charitable giving. The Foundation is also known for innovative programs such as ColoradoGives.org, an online giving resource that has raised more than $80 million for Colorado nonprofits in five years and is the platform for Colorado Gives Day.
“Colorado foundations and other funders enjoy a strong spirit of collaboration and CAF’s statewide network helps make that possible,” Williams said. “I look forward to working even more closely with the association to build on its work in connecting funders to share ideas, expertise and opportunities for positive impact.”
Before joining the Foundation, Williams served as president and CEO of The Women’s Foundation of Colorado. She continues her service to the foundation as an Honorary Trustee. Prior to joining the Women’s Foundation of Colorado, she was a partner with Holme Roberts & Owen LLP (HRO). At the law firm, Williams represented a number of nonprofit clients and supported them in all aspects of their business.
Williams earned a J.D. from Harvard Law School and an A.B. from Indiana University.
She is active in the community and serves on several boards, including SCL Health – Front Range and Sturm Financial Group. She is past president of Colorado Women’s Bar Association and is the recipient of the Mary Lathrop Award, the highest honor bestowed by the Women’s Bar Association. She has also been honored by the Girl Scouts of Colorado as a Woman of Distinction and named Woman of the Year by the Colorado Business and Professional Women’s Association (now Colorado Business Women.)
“We’re extremely fortunate to have such strong board leadership as we continue to expand our efforts to strengthen the sector and serve as a vital voice for philanthropy in our state,” said Joanne Kelley, Executive Director of Colorado Association of Funders.
Other CAF board officers and directors are:
- Vice Chair: Mark D. Andersen, Executive Director, Yampa Valley Community Foundation
- Secretary: Gay Cook, Vice President of Strategy & Philanthropic Relations, The Colorado Trust
- Treasurer: Kelly Dunkin, Vice President of Philanthropy, Colorado Health Foundation
- Gary Butterworth, Senior Vice President, El Pomar Foundation
- Rob Greenlee, Executive Director, Greenlee Family Foundation
- Joseph Ignat, Representative, Nord Family Foundation
- Alyssa Kopf, CEO, Community Shares of Colorado
- Sue Renner, Executive Director, David and Laura Merage Foundation
- Ruth Rohs, Executive Director, IMA Foundation
- Ellen Sandberg, President, CH2M Hill Foundation
- Tamara Tormohlen, Executive Director, Aspen Community Foundation
- Lynne Valencia, Vice President, Community Relations, 9News/Gannett Foundation
- Chris Wiant, President and CEO, Caring for Colorado Foundation